Christmas is my favourite time of the year. I love how exciting it feels and the additional time spent with loved ones is so nice. I love all the traditions that come with Christmastime too, so today I thought I would share with you some of my Christmas traditions.
Putting up the tree & ordering takeout
We always put up the Christmas tree as a family and then order Swiss Chalet. They always have a meal deal this time of year with cranberries and stuffing. It’s amazing and always such a nice way to spend the day!
Making a gingerbread house with Sam
I mentioned this in a blog post already (HERE) but I love making a gingerbread house with my sister before Christmas.
Going for a drive to see the Christmas lights
I love driving around town and looking at the light displays people have put on! It’s such a fun way to get into the festive spirit!
Spending Christmas Eve with my mom’s side of the family
On Christmas Eve we always celebrate with my mom’s family. This usually consists of a casual dinner at my house and a gift exchange.
Casual Christmas Day
Christmas Day is usually pretty low key at my house, which I love. It is typically just my parents, my sister, my grandma, and myself though this year Chris will be spending the day with us too. It’s super relaxed and in the evening we have a traditional turkey dinner.
What are some of your Christmas traditions?
Homemade fudge is another staple in our house over Christmas. It’s so chocolatey and one of the first treats to go! Today I thought I would share with you my mom’s super delicious recipe!
- 350g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 1/4 cups icing sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips with the condensed milk.
- Once melted, stir in remaining ingredients until well mixed.
- Spread evenly in an 8 inch square pan (line the pan with wax paper for easy clean-up).
- Chill for 2-3 hours and then cut into squares.
It’s a fairly simple recipe (though mixing everything together can be a bit hard) and tastes so delicious!
Do you have family recipes that you make every year?
I love painting my nails! I always like having them done and love switching up my polish with the seasons. This week I’ve opted to do a Christmas themed manicure! It was super simple to create and looks so festive.
I just painted my nails red and then took my Essence Nail Art Duo Stylist with some white and green polish to create polka dots on top. It only took a few minutes to do and I love the end result!
Do you like to switch up your nails with the seasons?
With Christmas not too far off I thought I would share some of my generic last minute gift ideas that will be easy to pick up with not a lot of shopping days left.
I love Christmas shopping and start pretty early but I know a lot of people who put it off until the last minute. It can be harder to find gifts at this point with a lot of the product picked over. You can still get some great gifts though, so here are some of my ideas:
- A book. This could be a cookbook like I’ve included or something better suited for the person you’re buying for.
- A board game makes a great generic gift! Anyone can enjoy it and it’s something a bit different.
- A Christmas Ornament is a nice festive option. There are so many pretty ones to choose from!
- Wine glasses or even a nice bottle of wine makes a lovely gift any time of the year, but especially around the holidays.
- A travel mug is a great option if the person you’re buying for loves coffee or tea. Even if they already have a travel mug, I think they would still appreciate a new one! I know I love having a few to choose from and on cold winter mornings it’s so nice to be able to take a hot cup of coffee with me in the morning.
- A framed photo is a really nice option for someone close to you. You could frame a photo of your favourite memory with them for a special keepsake.
- A scarf makes a great Christmas gift! With the weather being so cold they’ll get a lot of use out of one.
- A candle is a really nice idea too. It’s a safe option because most people like them and there are so many options to choose from.
- While a gift card isn’t the most personal gift, I think they’re great! That way the person you’re buying for is sure to get something they love.
Do you have any other last minute gift ideas?